One moment ..

Date: Sat Aug 07 2021 19:45

Subject: WPCA Autumn Rally

To: All members [73]

WPCA Autumn Rally 2021 to Island Harbour

I recently reminded members of the Autumn Rally taking place from 2 Sept to 5 Sept and now it is time to register your interest in taking part. Island Harbour is about 2 miles up the Medina River from Cowes and is a locked in tidal marina with the usual facilities, a restaurant and bar. A bus service passes the marina access road giving links to the island attractions. Carisbrooke Castle is nearby as is Osborne House. There are local riverside walks.

Access to the marina is between 8am and 9pm and is dependent on the tide and your draft and this link gives the relevant information

The tide times for Cowes are at this link

It will be a neap tide so a yacht with 1.8m draft should be able to enter on Friday 3rd September from 08:00 to 11:30 and from 18:45 to 21:00 whereas a yacht with 0.9m draft can enter from 08:00 to 21:00.

The outline passage plan is to depart from Weymouth on Thursday 2nd September exiting Weymouth harbour at around 11am to get to St Aldhelms head around slack water as the tide turns towards the East at around 14:00. We will then have tide with us across Poole bay and through the Hurst Narrows and all the way to Cowes where we spend the Thursday night. It is then a short hop to Island Harbour on the Friday morning 3rd Sept to enter near high water. The alternative is to stop for Thursday evening at Yarmouth and to arrive at Island Harbour on the Friday evening.

After the rally Monterey will be staying in the Solent for the week of 6th September and would welcome the company of any yachts wanting a longer cruise. For those returning to Weymouth on Sunday 5th September, the outline passage plan is to leave Island Harbour at around 08:30 to get to Cowes before the tide turns to the West at around 10:00. The tide should be with you all the way to St Aldhelms head after which you will need to push tide to Weymouth but the Lulworth Range will not be firing so you can choose your route to keep out of the tide.

On the Saturday evening we will book tables at the on site Breeze restaurant for those that would like to eat there.

If you would like to join the rally please let me know and also if you would like to eat at the Breeze restaurant. We will firm up the passage plan nearer the time and with knowledge of the weather forecast. Our president (currently with no boat) has already booked the ferry to meet us there with her motor home so we must provide some company.

Please respond to or by text or phone to 0781 659 0835.

Chris Reid

Reply to Committee